Monday, December 03, 2007

save me from myself - Brian 'head' Welch

I have just finished reading the above book after borrowing it from Josh. It was a great read, and although I've never had the "dramatic" testimony that he has, I found myself relating to a lot of what he had to say. Especially the stuff about depression. I've suffered on and off from a malingering depression, most of the time brought on by a visit from my folks or a remembering of my childhood. Anyhow, I was most moved at the end of his story and I will copy the excerpt here - I highly recommend you all read this book!

Save Me From Myself - Page 214-215

...But then one day I finally realised that screaming at God and begging him to take away my pain wasn't going to work. So I completely surrendered myself and stopped fighting him and I asked him what he wanted me to do.

He said:
JUST WORSHIP ME. PRAISE ME AND WORSHIP ME THROUGH THE PAIN.

And that's what I did.


I cried and worshipped the Lord in stillness and silence, listening to worship music and laying on the ground in his presence. It was time for God to do all the work, and it was time for me to be quiet. That's what got me through those dark times. Because God inhabits the praises of his people (Psalm 22:3), and he was right there with me the whole time. He taught me that the only thing I needed to do was to be still and quiet while the pain surfaces, and then I could just cry it away...... .....It was very hard to cry so much during that season, but God helped me by showing me that the divine light of his Spirit was shining in my soul, burning away all of the junk from my pas, and replacing it with the wisdom of his unconditional love - which was exactly what I needed in my soul - love.

No comments: