Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I am still learning...

and it's good! Aimee and I have been going to a social skills group every Tuesday, this term. There are two weeks to go and I have been amazed at the amount of knowledge I have gained. The children are learning social skills and us Mum's are together learning how to cope.

I have learned so much about "theory of mind" and what to do about some of the issues that we are dealing with. It's funny because I have done similar courses before and not gained anything spectacular from them, but what is different about this course is that this time all the children involved are girls with aspergers. Girls exhibit autism so differently from boys - it is so nice to be able to discuss their unique differences with other Mum's.

The woman that facilitates our group has explained autism as "the brain being scrambled - like eggs - the messages are not going through properly". It made for an easier way of explaining to the other children, why their sister doesn't always handle life well. They seem to be more understanding of her lately - and that's good news, because Aimee has been having a bad time of it. :(

We are constantly having to put off having a babysitter, because of her behaviour - I don't want to lose our current sitter, and she is almost at her limit with Aimee. Still, we will try again tonight, when Jonathan and I go to the movies tonight.

No comments: