Wednesday, June 14, 2006

chazown

Chazown (pronounced Khaw-ZONE) is a hebrew word meaning a dream, revelation, or vision. It is used in the verse - "Where there is no vision (chazown) the people perish"- Proverbs 29:18 KJV

It is also the name of a new book written by Craig Groeschel. The aim of the book is to help you to discover your own chazown, what is your vision for life?

I finished reading the first chapter around a week ago and was touched by a prayer by Sir Francis Drake included at the end of that chapter:-
"Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves. When our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little. When we arrive safely because we have sailed too close to the shore. Disturb us, Lord."
I second that prayer and say, "Disturb me, Lord, help me to dream bigger and risk more for you. AMEN."

The "homework" for this chapter is to write your own epitaph, to think about how you would like to be remembered. I have spent the last week thinking about this. I wanted to make it short and sweet. I thought about what kind of a statement I wanted my life to make in this world. Who did I want to be? It has begun an interesting path of thought in my mind.

I thought about the Proverbs 31 wife - I think I would like to have her epitaph said about me:-
Proverbs 31:28-30 (The Message)
28 Her children respect and bless her; her husband joins in with words of praise:
29 "Many women have done wonderful things, but you've outclassed them all!"
30 Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.

Proverbs 31:28-30 (New International Version)
28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

I want to be regarded/remembered as a fantastic mother and wife. It is what is most important in my life. I want to be remembered as a lover of God. :)

No comments: