Sunday, February 18, 2007

5 weeks in...

So... 5 weeks ago I decided I better do something about my weight. Over the past 11 years of married life I had gone from a size 12 to a size 18. Yes, I'd had 3 babies in that time and have had a contented married life - but that's no excuse! I'd let myself go, without even realising it.

So, what to do... I had some idea, and I knew I didn't want to "diet". I wanted to show my family that we could all live healthy lives. So I embarked on a journey of eating in moderation, drinking the recommended daily water (6-8 glasses), and exercising daily. I've had a few hiccups - went on holiday, fell apart during "that time of the month" and a few depressing moments. Today, though, I put on some clothes that were TIGHT in December and noticed that my stomach is flatter (unfortunately, my boob's are smaller - TMI I know... but I never was greatly endowed, so...).

I've lost 3kg since the first weigh-in, which I guess is good for 5 weeks. Especially when you consider that I've gained some muscle weight. It's obvious my body is changing shape.

For someone who dreaded exercise, and would rather drive to the dairy (less than 2 km's away) than walk - I've changed, I don't think my old self would recognise the new me at all! The other thing that's shocking about it all is that I'm enjoying it!!! SCARY! I've been alternating my exercise between doing a half hour walk/jog (using fitness-to-go workout), doing a exercise ball workout and using my stationary bike - making sure I do at least 30 minutes a day. I bought a heart rate pedometer yesterday, which is great encouragement to do better everyday. My goal is to change from being sedentary to being active.

The other thing I've noticed about all these changes is that it affects your mood so much - I yell less. Which of course, my family is happy about. I feel calmer and more settled. This time last week I walked 5 km in the Molenburg SUB Stride/Ride. That's me and my good friend Jo in the photo! I am accomplishing things I would never have dreamed of 5 weeks ago!

No comments: