Monday, February 12, 2007

Come, follow me...

“Come, follow me” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
Matthew 4:19-20

How challenging is that! Jesus says,” Come, follow me.” And AT ONCE they drop everything and follow him.

To be honest, I’m not sure I would be so quick to follow. I might complain about being busy, needing an income, being afraid etc. You get the drift, I have many excuses, none of them really important about why I don’t think I can do something for God.

I want to change that!

I would like to run when He calls me - I want to be tuned into what He is asking me to do. I am getting excited about all the people whose lives are going to be changed because I am listening to His call – COME, FOLLOW ME!

My life has been changed. I want to shout it from the rooftops! I want to be a “fisher of men”. I don’t want to make any excuses anymore. I have one life to live and I want to make it count.

They left their livelihood for Jesus. They left everything they knew to go into a world of uncertainty – relying on the fact that they would be okay. God continues to provide for his followers, even though, it looks ridiculous to rely totally on Him for food, money, roof over your head – He always provides.

Postscript:
I am going through a phase of wondering where I am in my relationship with God. Challenging myself to work-out my faith. I don’t believe you have to “do” anything to be saved – it is a free gift given by God, waiting to be accepted by us. My faith actions are my gift back to him – the cool thing about it is, I don’t have to do it – I choose to do it. It is my personal act of worship to my maker. For example, when I volunteer to do Mainly Music; I do it not for myself; I do it for the children and mothers (and some fathers too!) who may never know God otherwise. I want to share the fantastic message of God’s love and peace! A peace I know can conquer any anxiety I may be feeling. So, yeah, this is where I’m at, at the moment…

No comments: