Tuesday, April 04, 2006

knowledge

This is the verse that the girls and I are memorising today. As you can see Hope got tired of colouring in the words with multi-colours - tired hand as it's a fairly big verse. ;)

It's a great one about knowledge - written by someone very wise (said to be one of the wisest men ever to walk the earth), King Solomon. I think it is interesting because he didn't say the "head" of the discerning acquires knowledge. He said the "heart". And it's the "ears" that seek it out.

I believe it is saying that if you want knowledge and discernment you need to listen to find it. Also, putting seek and heart in this verse, makes me think that you need to be looking for knowledge too - there needs to be an action on your own part. Wise people seek out knowledge, they listen for it and they want to know more. :D It's okay to want to learn and know more - we don't have to be vegetables (couch potatoes - anyone?!)

We need to put into action our desire to learn - seek knowledge with all your heart, not because you "have" (HEAD) to but because you "want"(HEART) to. Listen (EARS) for knowledge, you can't hear it unless you choose to open up those ear's.

I have been to church at times, wishing for the sermon to end so that I could get home and do my long to-do list waiting for me. I wasn't focussed on listening and never got anything out of what was said - was it the preacher's fault? In this case, I think not, although I suppose if the preacher was boring or lacked knowledge or for many other reason's it could've been his fault - are preacher's responsible for engaging the audience? I don't know about that and I am off on a tangent. :) In the case I am talking about, I believe I was at fault for not switching my ears toward the wisdom and knowledge coming from the pastor's mouth and from the Word of God. I was too busy thinking about other things on my list. We need to make listening a top priority if we want to gain knowledge and wisdom.

No comments: