Thursday, April 06, 2006

You're Real and You're True

I am currently doing a missions course, run by the people who used to do the "Perspectives" course here in NZ - and it wasn't until I did the homework for this week that I realised that I had done this course 12-13 years ago when I was at Faith Bible College in Tauranga. My first thought was, "was it that long ago" and "I can't believe I have forgotten all this great information".

You see, I had forgotten that God has always been interested in the peoples of the earth (not just Israel - and then Christianity). It is woven throughout the whole bible - His love for us all!

Anywho, on another tangent, my good friend had a really neat thing to say to me tonight. She said, from across the other side of the room, "Dione, just a word I wanted to say, You're Real... You're Real and You're True."

So I thought I would find out what the dictionary says about those two words - just out of interest... I mean I know I am real - I am certainly not AI (like the bot I spoke to today igod). I pinched myself and I felt it... I am real, but I didn't realise that I came across as true. How neat and special for my friend to share her thoughts with me on that. Is that how people see me? How wonderful! :)

Anyway, word meanings....
re·al1 (rl, rl)
adj.
    1. Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness.
    2. True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life.
    3. Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time.
  1. Genuine and authentic; not artificial or spurious: real mink; real humility.
  2. Being no less than what is stated; worthy of the name: a real friend.
  3. Free of pretense, falsehood, or affectation: tourists hoping for a real experience on the guided tour.
  4. Not to be taken lightly; serious: in real trouble.
  5. Philosophy. Existing objectively in the world regardless of subjectivity or conventions of thought or language.
  6. Relating to, being, or having value reckoned by actual purchasing power: real income; real growth.
  7. Physics. Of, relating to, or being an image formed by light rays that converge in space.
  8. Mathematics. Of, relating to, or being a real number.
  9. Law. Of or relating to stationary or fixed property, such as buildings or land.
adv. Informal
Very: I'm real sorry about that.
n.

  1. A thing or whole having actual existence. Often used with the: theories beyond the realm of the real.
  2. Mathematics. A real number.

Idiom:
for real Slang
Truly so in fact or actuality: “Is this place for real? A wolf in a... leisure suit and a cow in a print dress wait patiently on the couch in the lobby” (Teresa Carson).


[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin relis, from Latin rs, thing. See r- in Indo-European Roots.]
realness n.
Synonyms: real, 1actual, true, existent
These adjectives mean not being imaginary but having verifiable existence. Real implies authenticity, genuineness, or factuality: Don't lose the bracelet; it's made of real gold. She showed real sympathy for my predicament. Actual means existing and not merely potential or possible: “rocks, trees... the actual world” (Henry David Thoreau). True implies consistency with fact, reality, or actuality: “It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true” (Bertrand Russell). Existent applies to what has life or being: Much of the beluga caviar existent in the world is found near the Caspian Sea. See also synonyms at authentic
true (tr)
adj. tru·er, tru·est
    1. Consistent with fact or reality; not false or erroneous. See Synonyms at real1. See Usage Note at fact.
    2. Truthful.
  1. Real; genuine. See Synonyms at authentic.
  2. Reliable; accurate: a true prophecy.
  3. Faithful, as to a friend, vow, or cause; loyal. See Synonyms at faithful.
  4. Sincerely felt or expressed; unfeigned: true grief.
  5. Fundamental; essential: his true motive.
  6. Rightful; legitimate: the true heir.
  7. Exactly conforming to a rule, standard, or pattern: trying to sing true B.
  8. Accurately shaped or fitted: a true wheel.
  9. Accurately placed, delivered, or thrown.
  10. Quick and exact in sensing and responding.
  11. Determined with reference to the earth's axis, not the magnetic poles: true north.
  12. Conforming to the definitive criteria of a natural group; typical: The horseshoe crab is not a true crab.
  13. Narrowly particularized; highly specific: spoke of probity in the truest sense of the word.
  14. Computer Science. Indicating one of two possible values taken by a variable in Boolean logic or a binary device.
adv.
  1. In accord with reality, fact, or truthfulness.
  2. Unswervingly; exactly: The archer aimed true.
  3. So as to conform to a type, standard, or pattern.
I hope that when people see me, that they do see someone who is real and true (authentic). I am praying that that will be shown through me more and more to others - that I could be "the city on a hill."

No comments: