Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Finding your spiritual home... {struggles}

How is it that you can know where you should form community with other believers? This is something I am currently struggling with. Should you look for the perfect church? I know the answer to that one - mainly because I am imperfect and anything that is perfect would become the opposite as soon as I joined. :} I am pondering these things because my family and I have been "attending" a New Life church on Sunday mornings and Cession in the evenings. I have been through all the membership groups at New Life, just haven't taken the plunge yet to become a member. What does membership of this particular church mean to me anyways? I would like to believe that I am a member of believers in Christ, not one particular denomination. And so the thought process goes...

My daughter, the one with Asperger's Syndrome, seems to enjoy Cession more, where she can attend Sunday School (at the moment anyway). She can't attend the New Life Sunday School - she can't cope well with the noise and amount of people, she tries to run away etc. :( I like to think that Jesus loves my daughter even though the rest of us struggle with her behaviour. I just want her to be accepted by the church. I also want to make church a priority in my life, and Aimee can make this difficult, because Sunday mornings are spent worrying about what she is doing or may be about to do - I feel as if I am on eggshells and I can't concentrate on learning anything from the sermon. I love Aimee - it can't be that difficult for others to do so also... or is it too much to ask?

3 comments:

Geekery said...

Hey Frank - don't you know it's rude to write a comment longer than the origonal post? [just kidding]

sewfunky said...

Thanks for your comment Frank. We appreciate all you guys at Cession. You have been very welcoming of us crazeeee read's - course Jonathan's the craziest! ;) I was feeling a little negative last night - Aimee has had a bad week, came home from school and tried to run away and was basically stressed most of the time between then and Jon getting home.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on Frank's comment. Well actually, I dislike the word ditto so i should instead say that we - melissa and I - think all you guys, (parents included!) are lovely also.

We are keen to keep in contact with you all wherever you decide is the best place, or places, for your family to be (doesn't matter much to us if that's in one or two places either).

Take care. God be the your bowl of hot yummy soup when the world is cold and gloomy...