Wednesday, July 05, 2006

koyaanisqatsi - post 2

Thursday, October 14, 2004

OT Assessment

Today has been one of those busy kinda days, the kind that make you exhausted just thinking about all you had to do. Not that it takes much for me to feel that way.

I prefer the simple life, to be honest, not that that ever happens around here!

The day started off really grandly, with a family hug in bed... To me this is the BEST way to be woken up in the morning - three kid's jumping into bed to give ME a morning hug!!! My kid's are the BEST. But then, I looked at the clock and baulked when I read 8:16am - EEEEEK! I had less than 30 minutes to organise everyone into having breakfast, getting dressed, and then off to various places. "B" needed to be at preschool , and "A" had an OT assessment (OT - Occupational Therapy) at 8.45am. My wonderful husband solved the needing to be at 2 places at once by dropping "B" off at preschool, and "H" and "A" and I all went off to school.

Somehow I managed to, once again, get out of the door on time! This is no mean feat, when you think that I have to dress 3 of us. "B" can dress herself, she is after all 4, but I am fearful of what she might end up wearing, and "A" has a lot of difficulties with her fine motor skills (blame it on the Aspergers Syndrome) so here I am every morning dressing 3 of us.

I really enjoyed sitting in on the OT Assessment. It's nice to know that my worries about "A" were founded, not that I wanted her to be "ab-normal" but I had known that she needed help, and it's great that she will be getting that help now. I know that this help would not be available to us if she was still being homeschooled - and knowing this helps me to feel better about our decision to put her into school.

The OT guy said that "A" needs help with her eye-hand co-ordination and with the tremor's in her hand's when she write's or uses fine motor skills. Through the assessment I discovered that Tommee Tippee make these really cool junior training cutlery (this afternoon I bought some for Aimee!) that has indentations for kid's fingers so they learn to use the cutlery properly - yay, I see the end to food all over the table... The physiotherapist is going to work with "A's" gross motor skills, things like ball throwing/catching, hopping, jumping, star-jumps etc. I am just so STOKED that she will be getting help - can you tell?!?

She still needs speech therapy assessment and a couple of other assessments to be done, but these should all be done before November 5th. The date for everyone to work on her IEP. Interesting that it's all going ahead on "Guy Fawkes Day" - should I blow up the school if it doesn't go the way I think it should?!? ;)

I can finally breathe now that things are falling into place for our sweet girl...

Dee

4 Comments:

Princess Annie said...

Hi there - just typed in the movie 'Cypher' and saw that like me you were in the Education industry (home-schooling? :) ) and that you might be a Christian? (Ted Dekker book).

I also live in NZ, 25 and married and am a teacher. I taught a Russian girl with Asperger's Spanish, it was a very beautiful, challenging and rewarding experience. Once I found one of the keys to how she learnt, she was almost a genius!

We have three guinea pigs and one rat!

I haven't read all of your post but I will.

Lovely to "meet" you :)


ANna :)

2:29 AM
shawnkline9017 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

12:07 AM
johneyfisher46030837 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

1:24 PM
markmiller3083702829 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

10:17 PM
Funny, how I got comment-spammed back then... ;) LOL!

2 comments:

a cession-ite said...

Hey Dione,

Nice post. I'm glad that some things are falling into place to help with A's development and to assist you and Jonathan. Will hopefully be a bunch of rewarding experiences for all.

Weirdness with the comment spam? I guess it was bound to exist though it's the first time i've seen it.

Take care,
Jacob.

sewfunky said...

:) Thanks Jacob - many things have fallen into place since October 2004. Aimee is going to a better school and can do many things she couldn't do back then. She can dress and feed herself, her speech is so much better and she can read! Wow! Its so neat to be able to look back and see how far we've come with her.